Helping You Through Difficult Times

Provide The Care They Need With A Guardianship Or A Conservatorship

How do you help an adult take care of their health care and finances? If you have a disabled adult child who needs guidance on these matters or you have an older relative who needs help managing their affairs, the attorneys at McClung & Associates are here to help.

Founding attorney Kerry McClung and associate attorney Chase Whittaker can help you set up a guardianship or a conservatorship efficiently. We understand the level of responsibility that comes with these situations. Our firm is focused on helping families take care of their vulnerable adult members in ways that preserve their dignity and safety.

How Guardianships And Conservatorships Work

When a loved one is no longer able to make important decisions and choices on their own, they may need someone to help manage their health care and financial situations. A conservator manages the financial affairs of an incapacitated adult. A guardian manages the personal affairs of an incapacitated adult, including their health care, where they live, their education and their safety.

Both conservators and guardians are court-appointed positions. If you believe your loved one needs assistance, you will need to file a petition with the court on their behalf to start the process of naming a conservator and/or a guardian. Sometimes, both roles are carried out by a single person, but they do not have to be. Our attorneys can help you evaluate your situation and determine the best course of action for your family.

How Can I Avoid Having To Establish A Guardianship Or Conservatorship?

If you know that a loved one will need help with financial or health care matters in the future, our attorneys can help you prepare for that situation with proper estate planning. We can help name legal guardians to care for children who will not be able to take on these adult responsibilities at age 18. For adults of any age, we can assist them with drafting an advance medical directive to determine the kinds of care they will want when they can no longer speak for themselves and set up power of attorney documents to appoint a trusted friend or relative to legally make decisions on their behalf.

Call 804-548-6565 Today To Learn More

To learn more about how a guardianship or conservatorship can help your family, call our office in Henrico at 804-548-6565, or book an introductory 30-minute phone consultation.